intrepid2dev
Keymaster

“Greg,

I emailed you a response. I’m copying it here for others benefit and hopefully owners with f225’s /f250’s will share some insight into how they have handled the clearance issue while the motors are tilted up and turned –

I went from 225 ox66’s to f-225’s figuring it would be a simple swap as the rigging is the same and the gauges are compatible with a simple indexing change on DIP switches on the back of the units. Plus I got a good deal on some super low hour post corrosion issue engines.

A simple swap has had some issues that we’ve overcome. The big thing is the on center mounting distance change that you mentioned. This has presented a few issues –

Moving the engines out the required dimension meant that the engine bracket now covered the splash well scupper drains on the exterior. The interior splash well has those nice recesses molded in to allow complete draining and I didn’t want to change that. So, new ones where drilled using the original inside opening but angled out at a 45′ angle and glassed in some 1″” tube. Issue addressed and it now has a larger drain.

New hydraulic rams and mounting brackets were needed and I needed to “”flip”” the hydraulic hoses 180′ to allow clearances.

The biggest problem I foresee is the fact that we will have to be aware of engine position when tilting up. If they are turned at an angle, say hard to left, the left engine cover will hit the corner of the port stern locker at about 3/4 of the way or more tilted up and vice versa. I may try to fabricate a limit switch that will now allow the engines to tilt if the steering rams are fully extended in either direction.

I’m a week from being on the water (currently just stopped snowing here in SE CT) and will see how this goes.

I would look hard at engines that have the narrowest mounting centers and carefully consider the options. Good luck, I hope my experience has helped.